Tuesday, June 19, 2012

New Series-to be released

I hope you have gotten your Just Cross Stitch magazine. I have a new piece that is in the magazine. It is a hornbook and it has Paul Rever on the back of the piece and George Washington and Betsy Ross on the front. When Just Cross Stitch approached me to do a piece for them they requested an Americana piece. I did some research and found out a couple of interesting facts about Paul Rever. After I completed the hornbook, I wanted to extend this theme. I spent sometime thinking about how I would do this. I have a personal rule that I do not repeat elements or themes in my design work. I want each piece to stand on its own and I also like the challenge of creating a new piece from scratch. While I was letting this idea bubble around in the thought process, I remembered that one of my art teachers had encouraged his students to create series of topics, either in the same medium or in different mediums. I found then that I did not like doing this. I thought it was the lazy way out to just move things around and make it slightly differnt. In the creative world, and most other worlds, if you do something that makes you uncomfortable or that will stretch you, you will grow and aquire new skills in that area. So, I am going to go for the uncomfortable at the moment and I am going to see where it takes me. I put on my designing hat and I have come up with a series called "Colonial Figures'. This series will have one figure with a quote and possibly a symbol that can be attributed to them. The bottom and top border will be the same and staying in a certain color range. I am releasing Patrick Henry first. Here is a peak at him. The frame is being built and a proper picture is going to be shot this week. I hope to have him out in the next couple of week. Depending on my travel schedule. I have started on Betsy Ross. George Washington and Paul Rever will be next. I have my research hat on and I am looking for more figures to go with the series. I also have some ideas that are brewing a spin off or two on this series. I am having fun with this, and I have a couple of other ideas brewing in my head. Yes that is a scary thought. As always, please support your local needlework shop. They are there to help and inspire us to create new and wonderful pieces that enhance our lives. Ebeth

No comments:

Post a Comment