Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Ruby Murray-New Linen from Dames of the Needle/From the Cauldron

Naming new products is always a fun challenge.  One does not want to go with the mundane obvious name, but the name should reflect some connection to the product so people will remember it and want to purchase the item.

Here at Dames/From the Cauldron Land-Cheryl (who I always want to keep happy!!!) is always joking that the names need to be one syllable to keep it simple....Well most of you that know me and know that is not possible.  I also have a wicked sense of humor and am always looking for the twist on something...sooo-I have to work hard at keeping Cheryl happy with other things here in Dames/From the Cauldron Land...

That leads us to our new linen color Ruby Murray.  Ruby Murray you say????  Hold on and I will explain.  I was playing around with this color and loved the way it was coming out and it hit me to try it on linen.  After the first piece was dyed, Cheryl and I bounced off ideas for the name.  After a short conversation it came up that it looked like Curry...well that is quite the plain name and that is a color name that is being used by other manufacturer in the industry....so being the anglophile that I would like to be, plus add in being the Google Queen-I did some research and found out that in Britain it is Cockney Rhyming Slang for 'going out for a Curry'.  (Yes, I am aware that-that last sentence is a complete run on and grammatically incorrect, but hey deal with it....)  In Britain, one can say I am 'going out for a Ruby' or I am 'going out for a Ruby Murray'.  So, if inquiring minds had been wondering this is why so many Indian restaurants have Ruby in the name.  The real Ruby Murray was a popular Irish singer in the 1930-50's.  Cockney Rhyming Slang is an organic language that changes with the times.  In the 1970's it became popular to rhyme celebrities with slang.  According to research, Ruby Murray is one of the first celebrities to be used in this unique way.

So....hence....Dames of the Needle/From the Cauldron is presenting you with Ruby Murray a lovely weathered golden yellow color.  It comes in 28, 32, 35 and 40 count.  I am still playing with an Aida version....Please contact your local shops, check out my Etsy or watch my Facebook sales so you too can 'go out for a Ruby Murray'.


Ebeth, Zola and Cheryl.....


No comments:

Post a Comment